If you don’t have a slow cooker, I highly recommend getting one.
It’s great being able to throw a couple of ingredients in the cooker in the morning and come home to a finished meal. The one I got on Amazon is literally called “Set n’ Forget.”
Seriously, it will change your life.
On to the recipe!
Chicken and Sausage with Cream Cheese Sauce
Cream cheese is a great base for keto sauces. The carbohydrate content is minimal and the high fat is no problem on a ketogenic diet. Plus it’s delicious! This easy, hearty chicken and sausage recipe will hardly seem like “diet food” at all.
To give the chicken some color, brown the chicken in a pan first on high heat for 3-4 mins on each side (this removes some of the fat) or just broil it for the last five minutes. Chicken skin adds a lot of flavor, but does not get crispy in a slow cooker!
- 1.5 lb chicken thighs, with skin
- 4 links of andouille sausage (I use Saag’s Cajun-style sausages, which are gluten free)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or substitute lemon juice)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons dijon or grainy mustard
- 1/2 table spoon of salt
- Whip together the cream cheese, chicken stock, garlic, mustard, salt, and wine in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken thighs and sausage links in the slow cooker.
- Layer the diced onion on top of the chicken and sausage links.
- Drizzle the cream cheese mixture on top of the meat.
Cover the cooker and cook for 4-6 hours on low heat (or 3-4 hours on high heat) checking that the sauce has reached your desired thickness. Can be eaten on its own, or served over mashed cauliflower.
P.S. If you hate cleaning up after cooking, get these slow cooker liners. You can get a pack of 2 or 3 for under $10. It’s worth it.