When I first started my low carb diet, I didn’t miss pasta. I didn’t miss potatoes. I didn’t even miss fresh baked bread. So what did I miss?
Desserts. SUGAR! Specifically, brown sugar.
Luckily, there are plenty of sugar substitutes out there (though some hardcore low carbers avoid these altogether). It’s easy to find low carb sugar substitutes at most supermarkets and coffee shops. But low carb brown sugar seemed to be a rare find. I couldn’t find it anywhere.
So I set out to make my own. And luckily, it’s as simple as mixing 2-3 ingredients.
- 1 cup erythritol or stevia (or your favorite sugar substitute. I don’t recommend xylitol if you’re on a ketogenic diet!)
- 1 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 2-5 dashes of butterscotch extract or flavoring (optional)
- Measure your sugar substitute in a small jar or bowl
- Add molasses and flavoring.
- Stir with a fork until coloring is uniform.
And that’s it! You now have a fragrant and delicious low carb brown sugar substitute for your favorite recipes. It’s perfect for low carb desserts and even on stir fried veggies.